Sep 17, 2008

What am I doing?



Some doodles from last night.

I’ve always had this tendency to want to have the “perfect” sketchbook. I see other artist sketchbooks, and I can’t help but compare mine to theirs. I want to have these perfect drawings, observations, etc., like the little sketchbook in Indiana Jones, or Da Vinci’s sketchbook. Fortunately, I’ve come to the realization that it doesn’t have to be perfect, that it is for experimenting and such.

I also realized that I’m a BIG fan of minimalist illustrations and drawings, like the work of Christoph Niemann, Luba Lukova, Craig Frazier, Noma Bar, and the line drawings of Picasso. I guess I have more work to do…

2 comments:

DINTOONS said...

>> Fortunately, I’ve come to the realization that it doesn’t have to be perfect <<

LOVE this line of yours, THANX! i've been coming to the same realization lately... i think it's more important to get stuff down on paper, and take it from there, one step at a time, discovering what happens next... rather than waiting endlessly and non-productively for that "perfect idea" or "perfect sketch"...!!

love this doodle of yours! the winking snake guy is cool, a really cute bird there, and spontaneous composition overall... like a stream of consciousness thing huh :)

sweet sketches n illos on your blog, keep it up michael!

Lodo Grdzak said...

This ones real good.